Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
"This scrumptious seafood dish 'travels well'. At least, the recipe does= I make sure to pack it in my handbag whenever my husband and I are preparing to visit out-of-state relatives. Now that we're retired, we travel often. And it's our custom to take over in the kitchen wherever we visit and whip up one of our own family favorites-frequently this casserole. It never fails to win us compliments...along with invitations to visit again!"
- add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- add 3/4 cup light cream
- add 1 cup milk
- add 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- add 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut asparagus
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup buttered soft bread crumbs
- add 1/4 cup dry white wine, more cream or chicken broth
- add 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- add 1/4 cup butter
- add 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- On stove top or in a microwave oven, blanch asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain well; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cream; cook until thickened. Stir in wine (or substitute). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in beaten egg yolk, cheese and shrimp. In a buttered 2-1/2-qt. casserole, arrange half the asparagus; pour on half the sauce. Repeat layers. Top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.