My best friends French mom has been serving this pie up for the past 30 Christmas Eves that I have spent with them since I was a young teen and now with my family. She so graciously shared the recipe this past season with all of us. I guess you could call this tourtiere perhaps.
- add 4 medium onions
- add salt and pepper
- add 3 lbs pork butt
- add boiling water
- add 1 teaspoon savory
- add 4 double crust pie crusts
- add 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- add 1 lb lean beef
- Boil 3 to 4 hours til meat is falling apart and most of the water is gone.
- Taste and add seasonings to liking.
- Leave meat overnite and skim fat off in the morning.
- Fill pie shells and top with pastry cutting slits.
- Bake 40 minutes at 425F.
- Makes 4- 9" pies.
- Prep time does not include overnite step.
- Cook time includes the boiling and baking.