If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- add <B>For topping</B>
- add 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- add 1 teaspoon baking powder
- add 1 tablespoon Lyle's Golden Syrup (British cane sugar syrup)
- add <B>For shortbread base</B>
- add 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1 cup confectioners sugar
- add 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 13- by 9-inch metal baking pan.
- Make shortbread base:
- Sift together dry ingredients and blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press evenly into bottom of pan (base will be thin). Bake in middle of oven until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Make topping just before shortbread is done:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in remaining ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Pour topping:
- Remove shortbread from oven and pour topping over, tilting pan to cover shortbread evenly. Cool in pan on a rack, then cut into small rectangles (8 rows lengthwise and 8 crosswise).