I needed to make a last moment pot luck dish and had not planned anything. So i opened the pantry to see what was on hand, i had smoked salmon, 2 -3oz. packages, a 12 oz. jar of artichoke hearts in brine, a12 oz. box of tri-color Rotini pasta. I always have butter , flour and cheeses. So i Made a casserole from these ingredients.
- add 3 Tbsp butter
- add 2 Tbsp flour
- add a pinch of salt
- add I cup water from cooking pasta
- add 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2
- add salt & pepper to taste
- add 2-3oz. package smoked pacific salmon
- add 1-12 oz. jar artichoke hearts in brine, drained
- add 1-12 oz. Box tri-color rotini pasta, cooked al dente, drain
- add 1 or2 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- add 3oz. shredded pepper jack cheese
- add 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1. cook the pasta al dente in boiling salted water, approx. 7 mins
- 2. butter an oven safe casserole dish, set aside
- 3. melt the butter in sauce pan and add the flour, cooking to make a white sauce. slowly add a little of the pasta water you saved after cooking pasta, mixing and cooking to let thicken as you add a small amount each time more
- 4. slowly add the 1/2 & 1/2 the same way as pasta water
- 5. add Parmesan Cheese, slowly a little bit at a time stirring and melting,
- 6. Put the pasta, artichokes and smoked salmon ( broken up in small piece) in the casserole dish. Pour the white/cheese sauce over the pasta and mix all ingredients well.
- 7. sprinkle 2/3 of the bread crumbs over the pasta mix, sprinkle the jacks cheese on top, then sprinkle the rest of bread crumbs on top.
- 8. Bake for 35-40 minutes in 350 oven uncovered until top browns and mix is bubbly hot.