smoked chicken and sun-dried tomato sandwiches with basil olive pesto
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add a long loaf (about 20 inches) French or Italian bread
- add 1 large garlic clove
- add 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, washed well and spun dry
- add 6 to 8 ounces smoked chicken breast, sliced thin
- add about 1/2 cup basil olive pesto
- add 1/3 cup pine nuts
- add <B>BASIL OLIVE PESTO</B>
- add 3 ounces dried tomatoes (about 3/4 cup), not packed in oil
- add 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leaf), washed well and spun dry
- add <B>For Sandwiches</B>
- add 1/4 cup olive oil
- add Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
- add 1/4 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped fine
- add 1/2 bunch arugula, trimmed, washed well, and spun dry (about 1 cup)
- Make sandwiches:
- In a heatproof bowl pour enough boiling water over tomatoes to cover and let stand 20 to 30 minutes, or until soft. Drain tomatoes and pat dry.
- Cut loaf diagonally into 4 pieces and halve each piece horizontally. Spread pesto on cut sides of bread and make 4 sandwiches with chicken, tomatoes, and arugula.
- Make Basil Olive Pesto:
- To a food processor with motor running add garlic and blend until minced. Add basil, parsley, and nuts and blend well. Add oil and blend until smooth. Transfer pesto to a bowl and stir in olives. Pesto may be made 5 days ahead and chilled, surface covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- Bring pesto to room temperature before using. Makes about 3/4 cup.