This one's for the guys or for you ladies who want to really make the men in your lives happy! The burgers are seasoned with liquid smoke and spices and grilled with a slice of thick-cut smoky bacon wrapped around each one. Have fun building these big boys any way you like! I find these taste their best served poolside after a good game of water basketball or volleyball with some chips and cold soda or beer.
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 1 teaspoon pepper
- add A-1 Steak Sauce (optional)
- add jalapenos (optional)
- add 4 large hamburger buns
- add 1 egg yolk
- add 1 lb ground beef
- add 4 slices thick cut bacon
- add 1/2 cup onions
- add barbecue sauce (Any other favorite toppings or condiments etc.) (optional)
- add 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I prefer mesquite)
- add 4 slices kraft singles cheese (optional)
- add grilled onions (optional)
- add 4 slices tomatoes
- add 4 leaves lettuce
- Combine the ground beef, onion, egg yolk, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke in a medium bowl and mix well.
- The mixture should be soft, yet hold its shape.
- Add up to 1/2 cup bread crumbs if mixture will not come together.
- Mix with your hands-- like a man should!
- Feel free to add small amounts of any other seasonings you think would add to the flavor.
- I like to add a bit of minced garlic, seasoned salt, cayenne, etc.
- Have fun with it.
- Divide the mixture into four equal portions and form into patties that are about the diameter of the buns you'll be using.
- This should make them fairly thin and large.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around the center of each patty and secure with toothpicks.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours to chill and firm up the patties.
- Bring patties up to room temperature while preparing a hot fire in grill.
- Throw on a few water-logged mesquite wood chunks and grill the burgers to your liking, removing the toothpicks before turning over.
- While the burgers are on the grill, lightly toast the buns under the broiler or on the grill.
- Be sure you have the large hamburger buns, not those puny ones like you see in McDonald's happy meals.
- You're making man-sized burgers here!
- Place the hamburger patties, buns, tomatoes, lettuce, and anything else you want to use to build your burger, on individual plates and let each person make their own.
- These burgers go great with potato chips, macaroni salad, baked beans, and corn on the cob for a fantastic Summer meal.
- A chocolate pudding or slice of cream pie makes a great dessert.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled or whatever to serve as many as you need.