I like to serve these sweet, smoky black beans over brown rice, with sauteed bitter greens (arugula or turnip greens, for instance) and sour cream.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 carrot
- add 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- add 3 garlic cloves
- add 2 cups cooked black beans or canned black beans
- add 1/2 onion
- add 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced (set 2 tsp of adobo sauce aside)
- add 1/2 cup water
- add 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- add 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- add 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- add fresh cilantro
- add 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke. Add onions, and cook until translucent. Add carrot and sautee until it begins to soften slightly.
- Turn heat to medium and add garlic, cumin, paprika, and minced chipotle peppers. Sautee for 1-2 minutes, then mix in water, tomato paste, and reserved adobo sauce. Stir to combine, then add beans immediately.
- When the beans are hot, add vinegar and honey or sugar. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving over rice.