(Savory Sandwich Torte)<P> A variety of fillings can be used in this savory sandwich torte, often served on special occasions in Sweden.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 teaspoon drained capers, chopped<B>For smoked salmon filling</B>
- add 3 tablespoons mixed finely chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, dill, and chives
- add 40 slices very thin firm white sandwich bread (from two 1-pound loaves)<B>For herb topping</B>
- add <B>For egg salad filling</B>
- add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice<B>For cream cheese filling</B>
- add 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
- add 3/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- add 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- add 8 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped fine
- add 2 scallions (white and pale green parts only), chopped fine
- add 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- add 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- add 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill sprigs
- add 10 ounces smoked salmon, chopped fine
- add 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- Make fillings:
- In 3 separate bowls combine all ingredients for each filling, stirring each together until combined well. Season each filling with salt and pepper.
- Stack 4 bread slices together and with a serrated knife trim crusts from bread. Stack and trim remaining 36 bread slices in same manner.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or wax paper arrange 8 bread slices side by side in 2 rows of 4 slices each to form a rectangle. Top rectangle with half of egg salad filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 more bread slices in same manner, pressing gently on top and sides to form an even layer.
- Top second layer of bread with half of salmon filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 bread slices in same manner to form an even layer.
- Top third layer of bread with all of cream cheese filling, spreading evenly, and cover with 8 bread slices in same manner to form an even layer.
- Make layers with remaining salmon filling, remaining 8 bread slices, and remaining egg salad filling in same manner, ending with egg salad. Chill torte, covered with plastic wrap, at least 12 hours and up to 2 days.
- Make topping:
- In a bowl stir together herbs until combined well.
- Trim sides of torte and sprinkle topping over egg salad layer.
- Serve torte cut into small pieces.