Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- add 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- add 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- add 36 medium Bibb lettuce leaves (from about 3 heads)
- add 1 large garlic clove
- add 36 small fresh coriander sprigs
- add 3 fresh serrano or jalapeño chilies
- add 36 fresh mint leaves
- add 36 large shrimp (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- add 1/4 cup water
- Shell and devein shrimp. In a 3-quart saucepan of boiling water cook shrimp 3 minutes, or until just cooked through, and drain in a colander. Cool shrimp slightly. In a large baking dish chill shrimp in one layer, loosely covered with plastic wrap. (Shrimp may be cooked 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.)
- Mince garlic. Wearing rubber gloves, seed 2 chilies and mince all 3 chilies. In a bowl stir together garlic, chilies, lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, and water until sugar is dissolved. (Dipping sauce may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.)
- Just before serving, assemble hors d'oeuvres: On each lettuce leaf arrange 1 shrimp, 1 mint leaf, and 1 coriander sprig. Serve shrimp with dipping sauce.