Hubby says these grits are fit for a Southern Tea Room. No higher compliment than that! It is not a mistake to use quick cooking grits, and cook them for almost half an hour. These grits have body!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 cup butter
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 2 cups water
- add 1 1/4 cups milk
- add 1 cup quick-cooking grits, not instant (I use Quaker)
- In a small pot, bring water, milk, and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed.
- Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of stiff cream of wheat.
- Stir in butter.
- Serve with additional butter on top of each portion, or serve with fruit or with a savory meal.