An adapted recipe from an Italian cook book. Neither the books version nor this one calls for cream, contrary to how carbonara is commonly served. Prep time includes time it takes to boil water(before adding pasta)
- add 1 cup dry white wine
- add 1 lb spaghetti
- add olive oil
- add 1 cup pancetta or prosciutto or bacon
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 1 shallot
- add 1 cup finely minced onions (yellow or red)
- add 1 cup grated mixed cheeses (parmesian, belgioso romano etc.)
- add 3 eggs
- add 4 tablespoons parsley
- Set a large pot of water to boil with about 1 Tbs olive oil and a few good shakes of salt for the pasta.
- Add about a Tbs of olive oil to a large frying pan and heat over Med heat.
- Add garlic and sautee untill just barely brown.
- Add onions and shallots, sautee untill they are translucent.
- Add meat and cook untill meat is not quite cooked.
- Add white wine and simmer on low heat.
- Mix eggs parsley and half of the cheese mixture, set aside.
- When pasta is done untill just BEFORE aldente, strain it and add to frying pan with the meat mixture.
- Toss well while adding the egg+cheese+parsley mixture gradualy.
- Put pasta ina preheated serving bowl and sprinkle some more cheese on top along with some fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve imediately.