Nice, back of the stove, slow cooking sauce.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 large onion
- add 1-2 tablespoon dried oregano
- add 6 cloves garlic
- add 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- add 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- add 2 tablespoons dried basil
- add 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- add 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- add 8 ounces red wine
- add 2 tablespoons sugar
- add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- add 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- add 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- add 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place a 2 1/2 quart pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and red pepper flakes, stiring for approximately 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion, sauteing until onion begins to be translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for additional 2 minutes.
- Add both cans tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and wine.
- Add spices, blending thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Taste test after 2 hours and add more wine if too thick and reseason as desired.
- Simmer, covered, for an additional hour.
- Can be slow cooked in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
- Cooked ground beef or turkey or cooked italian sausage may be added upon serving if desired.
- This recipe freezes well.