Ever since I found out ground beef was public enemy #1 for my digestive system, I had to reinvent recipes I've loved since I was a kid. For the longest time, I always ate spaghetti with just prepared spaghetti sauce and some parmesan cheese. Then I found out how much more satisfying adding ground beef was. Now, I can't even do that, anymore. :'( (not without pain anyway). That's where ground turkey comes in. So, here, I have a simple, and a little healthier version. My bf and my roomie both enjoy it and they can still smother it in cheese if they so wish, lol! I think it tastes pretty good, myself and is simple to make. This is the perfect weekday dinner when everyone's busy, but everyone needs some good energy food that's a bit healthier for them.
- add uncooked spaghetti
- add parmesan cheese (optional)
- add 26 ounces of prepared spaghetti sauce, your choice of brand and flavor (usually 1 can or 1 jar)
- add 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey, packages come in about 1 1/4 lbs (lean, extra lean, it's your choice)
- Brown ground turkey until no longer pink.
- Drain any fat.
- Add cooked ground turkey back to the pan, add the can of spaghetti sauce, set aside.
- Boil water for the noodles.Add a bit of salt once boiling, add noodles, cook per package instructions.
- While noodles cook, heat up the sauce/turkey mixture.
- Drain noodles.Make sure sauce is heated through.
- Serve!Ground turkey isn't as cheap as ground hamburger, but it's better for you and I've found you can replace ground turkey in nearly every ground beef recipe.
- Try browning the ground turkey with some chopped onions too - that's always a yummy addition.But that's just because bf and I love onions.
- You can also try the spaghetti sauce/turkey mixture over cooked white rice.Ground beef and spaghetti sauce tastes great over white rice, why not ground turkey.
- I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (for more info you can check out helpforibs.com).This means I have to experiment a lot.Now if only I were rich, I'd be able to be more flexible and afford more subbed ingredients.Substitutions are expensive!Have fun and enjoy.