Servs: 4 Prep: Cook:
I found this recipe from Cooking Light while looking for new and different uses for chicken. They were pretty easy to make with the food processor and very tasty! I served them with the aioli in the recipe and made another with mayo, dijon, chopped green onions and cilantro (leftover from cakes), some nonfat yogurt, lemon juice, old bay seasoning and salt to taste. Both were a hit!
- add Cakes:
- add 2 (1 1/2-ounce) slices whole wheat bread
- add 1.5 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- add 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
- add chopped cilantro (optional - I added it and it worked well)
- add 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- add 1 teaspoon Cajun/Creole/Old Bay seasoning
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 2 large egg whites
- add 2 teaspoons canola oil
- add Aioli:
- add 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- add 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- add 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- add 1/8 teaspoon salt
- To prepare cakes, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup. Set breadcrumbs aside.
- Place chicken in food processor; pulse until ground. Combine chicken, chives, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and breadcrumbs (start with a cup and add more if necessary) in a medium bowl; mix well (mixture will be wet). Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties; cook 7 minutes on each side or until done.
- To prepare aioli, combine 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with cakes.