A good recipe for creole sauce, that can be canned! I got this from the Ball Blue Book.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- add 3 quarts chopped peeled cored tomatoes (about 18 medium)
- add 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- add 1 cup chopped sweet red peppers (about 2 medium)
- add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- add 1 tablespoon sugar
- add 1-3 hot red pepper
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 2 cloves garlic
- add 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot.
- Cook slowly until thick, about 1 1/2 hours (or put in crockpot and cook on low about 4 hours).
- As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking (not necessary if using crockpot, although you might want to stir it occasionally).
- If canning,ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.
- Adjust two-piece caps.
- Process pints 25 minutes, quarts 30 minutes, at 10 ppounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.
- Yield: about 4 pints or 2 quarts Enjoy!
- To serve: Cook small amount of chopped celery in oil; add Creole Sauce and heat to blend.
- Serve over rice, meatballs or shrimp.
- Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.