Servs: 12 Prep: 20m Cook: 40m
"'A higher-fat version of this casserole was a big hit when my aunt and I ran a gourmet carryout business,' relates Julie Remer of Gahanna, Ohio. ' Now that I'm only cooking for my family, I'm trying to lighten things up a bit.'"
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- add 4 eggs
- add 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- add 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- add 1 1/2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- add 2 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- add 6 egg whites
- add 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- add 3/4 teaspoon salt
- add 6 sheets phyllo dough
- Layer three phyllo sheets in a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach, cheese, 2 eggs, parsley flakes and salt; spread over phyllo dough. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares; cover and chill for 1 hour. Beat egg whites, milk and remaining eggs; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.