This recipe pairs skirt steak (a flavorful, yet less tender cut of beef) with citrus, garlic and chile- all piled into a soft flour tortilla. The garnishes are up to you: We like pico de gallo, but also try grilled onions and bell peppers. Easy and low-calorie. Ladies Home Journal Test Kitchen Favorite.
- add sour cream (for garnish)
- add 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- add 6 soft flour tortillas
- add 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- add 1 tablespoon ground arbol chile (or chile powder)
- add 1 tablespoon grated lemons
- add 2 lbs skirt steaks (or flank steak)
- add pico de gallo
- add 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- add 1 tablespoon orange zest
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Make marinade:.
- Combine all ingredients in a large shallow baking dish. Add steak, turning to coat. Cover and marinate steak in the refrigerator, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat grill. Remove steak from refrigerator and stand at room temperature, 15 minutes. Remove steak from marinade and grill 5 minutes. Turn and grill steak 3 to 5 minutes more, or until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of steak reaches 135 degrees F for medium-rare.
- Transfer to cutting board and slice. Divide and fill warm tortillas with steak, pico de gallo and sour cream, if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.
- NOTE: Time does not include marinaing time.