If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil<br> 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise<br> 2 Turkish bay leaves or 1 California<br> 2 whole cloves<br> 1 celery rib, finely chopped<br> 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)<br> 1/2 Italian frying pep
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic, bay leaves, and cloves, stirring, until garlic is golden, 35 to 40 seconds. Remove from heat, then transfer garlic, bay leaves, and cloves with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Reserve all but 2 tablespoons oil in a heatproof bowl, then add celery, onion, frying pepper, curry powder, salt, pepper, and reserved bay leaves and cloves to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 1 teaspoon brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are just beginning to break down, about 20 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in half of reserved garlic slices. Add remaining 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar, if desired.
- Heat grill pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of bread slices with reserved olive oil, then grill
- in hot grill pan, turning over once, until pale golden and grill marks appear, about 4 minutes total.
- Spoon tomato mixture onto toast on plates and sprinkle with remaining garlic slices.