A Waitrose recipe. One of those I mean to make, one day. Sounds good. The leaflet says the pears could be replaced with apples to which 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon added to the sponge mix. Oh yes, it says drink Blandy's Alvada 5 year old Rich Madeira with it.
- add 200 ml milk
- add 75 butter
- add 2 teaspoons baking powder
- add 4 large ripe pears
- add 125 g plain flour
- add 125 caster sugar
- add 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- add 150 g light muscovado sugar
- add 1 medium egg
- Preheat oven to 180C, gast mark 4.
- Arrange the pear slices in the base of a buttered 1.
- 5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl and add the caster sugar, milk, butter and egg.
- Whisk together for 2-3 minutes until pale in colour, then pour over the pears.
- To make the caramel sauce, place the brown sugar and syrup in a small pan and add 250 ml cold water.
- Cook over a moderate heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Without stirring, allow to reach boiling point, then remove from the heat.
- Carefully pour the sauce over the pudding, then bake for 35-40 minutes until the sponge is golden.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving with cream or vanilla ice cream.