I compiled this recipe the other night after finding 3 recipes that I liked. None had exactly what I was looking for so I combined the 3 and this is what I got. I had to add the 3rd can of sauce because I like to spoon a little over the top of my peppers when they are done.
- add 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- add 1-2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- add salt
- add 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- add pepper
- add 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- add 1 cup instant rice
- add 6 medium green bell peppers
- add 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- add 1/2 medium onion
- add 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut tops off the peppers and scrape out the insides; making sure to get all of the seeds.
- Once cleaned out, place peppers in a casserole dish.
- If need be, cut a little off the bottoms to even out the peppers so they stand straight up.
- Brown beef with chopped onions.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, 2 cans of the tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce; salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and stir in uncooked instant rice; cover, remove from heat and allow to stand 3-5 minutes.
- Stir meat mixture and spoon it into the peppers.
- *Optional-Pour remaining can of tomato sauce around the bottom of the baking dish.
- You can add a little bit of water to thin it out, if you desire.
- If not using remaining can of sauce, be sure to add 3-4 tbsp.
- of hot water to bottom of baking dish.
- Cover baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and bake for a few more minutes to allow the cheese to melt.