This is an appetizer I remember eating at many potlucks, family gatherings, and parties while growing up in NY state. Make sure you line the baking sheet with foil as these tend to ooze while baking. Adapted from "Best of the Best from New York Cookbook" by Quail Ridge Press.
- add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- add 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- add 1/2 cup italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
- add 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- add 20 large mushrooms
- add 2 cloves garlic
- Wipe clean mushrooms with either a mushroom brush or a very slightly damp paper towel.
- Carefully remove stems from mushrooms and chop stems.
- Place butter and garlic into a heated skillet and let butter melt, stirring.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and saute until lightly brown.
- Add parsley,stir,and remove from heat.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Add bread crumbs, stirring until mixture is crumbly.
- Lightly fill each mushroom cap with the sauteed mixture, but don't pack tightly.
- Set on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes.