Reading through several recipes on line and in my vast collection of cookbooks - I made this recipe up tonight making use of only what I had on hand. DH said - this is keeper - better write it down quick! Edited 7/06 to lighten the recipe.
- add 2 tablespoons parsley
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- add 1 egg
- add 1 cup red onions
- add 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- add 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- add 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- add 1 teaspoon basil
- add 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 4 slices provolone cheese
- add 1 lb Italian sausage
- add 2 medium fresh zucchini
- In large skillet, brown sausage.
- Drain well.
- In same skillet, saute onion & garlic 5 minutes in oil.
- Cut zucchini in half - remove seeds from center, reserving meaty party and cutting into cube approximate 1/2" in size, leaving boat shell for stuffing.
- In large bowl mix together sausage, bread crumbs, seasonings, egg, onion, garlic and tomatoes and cubed zucchini.
- Mix to just combine.
- Stuff into zucchini boats and place in 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour entire can of tomato sauce over stuffed boats.
- Bake un-covered in 375º oven approximately 45 minutes.
- Place cheese (tear to fit boats or use shredded) & place on top of tomato sauce.
- Return to oven for approximately 10 minutes - cheese should bubble.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.