Very easy do ahead recipe. They are nicely browned, crispy and very tasty. You could adapt this to use Portabello Mushrooms (apprx. 6). Looks great on a festive buffet, as a brunch side dish or serve as an appetizer This was originally a Kraft Kitchen recipe
- add 16 large stuffing white mushrooms
- add 1 cup hot water
- add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- add 4 tablespoons green peppers
- add 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- add 1 (120 g) box Stove Top chicken stuffing mix
- add 4 tablespoons red peppers
- Mix the stuffing mix with the hot water, cover& stand 5 minutes.
- Saute the mushroom caps, open side up in 1tbsp butter or margerine for 2 minutes, flip and saute a further 2 minutes.
- The mushrooms should be lightly browned but still firm.
- Remove caps and place them in a shallow baking dish.
- Add the chopped stems& peppers to the fry pan, saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stuffing mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the caps, drizzle with 2 tbsp butter/margerine.
- *You may make them up to this point cover& place in fridge for up to 3 hours, bring to room temp before finishing.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil 5-7 inches from heat for approx 5 minutes or until golden and heated through.