This is from a hand-out that was distributed by a local grower in the weekly Culver City, CA farmer's market. The chiptole gives it a great flavor. You will have a lot of chiptoles left over - just dump the rest of the can in a freezer bag and freeze for later (lay the bag out flat, so you can break of just one at a time once they're frozen). They're pretty hot, look out! P.S. If you are looking for Pico de Gallo and not Salsa, omit the canned tomato and double the fresh tomato.
- add 1/2 small red onion
- add 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- add 1/2 teaspoon canned chipotle chiles, minced (I use about 1 whole chili. Original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. You may want to start with less and in)
- add 1 large ripe tomato, chopped (use the very best fresh tomato you can find at the time of year you are making this)
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 10 leaves fresh oregano
- add 10 sprigs fresh cilantro
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a pretty serving bowl.
- Leave out at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Stir and eat.