I forgot that I had this recipe until someone asked about it. Shaped and tastes like the Suzy-Q snack cakes (made by Hostess)!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3 eggs
- add 18 1/4 ounces devil's food cake mix
- add 1 cup Crisco shortening
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 5 tablespoons flour
- add 1 cup whole milk
- add powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- add 1 cup granulated sugar
- add 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- add 1 1/4 cups water
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13" x 9" pan and bake according to the package directions.
- When cake is cooled, remove from pan to flat surface and cut cake in half horizontally.
- To prepare filling, cook flour and milk in a saucepan over low heat until thickened; whisking often. Cool mixture COMPLETELY in refrigerator.
- While heated mixture cools, beat together sugar, Crisco, salt and vanilla. Add to cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread filling on 1 half of cake. Place other half of cake on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.