I searched thru 3 pages of Sweet & Sour Meatball recipes to make sure this was unique and I think it is. I got this recipe from a lovely woman named Iola back in 1973. It is still a favorite and requested by friends and family alike. You can use your own meatball recipe, or if you're like me...I sometimes run out of time and I use frozen already prepared meatballs.
- add 1 egg
- add 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- add 4 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- add 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- add 1/3 cup green peppers
- add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- add 1 lb ground beef
- add 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- add 1/3 cup onions
- add 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- add 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Mix beef, bread crumbs, egg and spices.
- Shape into 50 meatballs.
- Place in 13x9x2 baking pan.
- Broil until brown, turning once.
- Spoon off excess fat.
- In saucepan cook green pepper and onion in butter or margarine until tender-crisp.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Cover with foin and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Place in fondue or chafing dish to serve.
- Place meatballs in crockpot, pour sauce over and heat on low for 3-4 hours.
- May be served directly from crockpot.