This is a recipe I found in a Taste of Thai Cookbooklet I got in the mail from the Taste of Thai company...it is a good twist on regular southern corn cakes and I love them. Don't let the long ingredient list turn you away. This is quickly put together and inexpensive, and the dipping sauce is of course optional.
- add 2 tablespoons fish sauce (seasoning sauce)
- add 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- add 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- add 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- add 2 cups fresh corn or frozen corn (if using frozen corn, make sure to drain it well to avoid soggy cakes)
- add 1 scallion or green onion, minced (I use 2 'cause I like green onions)
- add 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- add 2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 2 tablespoons fish sauce (simply seasoning sauce or Nam Pla)
- add oil (for cooking, as needed)
- add 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- add 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- add 3 teaspoons minced red chili peppers
- add 2 teaspoons minced red chili peppers
- add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (you can use parsley if you can't find fresh cilantro)
- add 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, flour, and baking powder; mix with mixer on medium speed until flour begins to bind with the corn.
- Add the minced red peppers, sugar, scallion, cilantro, seasoning sauce and egg.
- Continue mixing until mixture becomes thick and spreadable (you want mixture to spread slightly when it is dropped in the oil).
- In a nonstick skillet, heat about one tablespoon of oil.
- Drop large spoonfuls of batter into skillet and let spread; brown cake on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Continue doing this until batter is gone, adding oil as needed.
- Serve with Spicy Malt Seasoning Sauce.
- SPICY MALT SEASONING SAUCE FOR DIPPING:.
- Combine all dipping sauce ingredients; mix well.