Creamy pudding is layered with fruit preserves, caramel sauce or chocolate sauce and topped with nuts, chocolate pieces or spices. It is a great kid-friendly dessert that can even be presented elegantly for an adult dinner. From the December 2004 issue of Country Living. Cook time does not include chill time.
- add 3/4 cup chocolate syrup or caramel sauce or fruit preserves
- add 1/4 cup nuts or decorative candies or chocolate pieces
- add 3 1/2 cups milk
- add 3 egg yolks
- add 1/3 cup sugar
- add 4 tablespoons dry tapioca
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Mix the sugar, tapioca, milk and egg yolks together in a medium saucepan.
- Cook on medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat, transfer the pudding to a medium bowl, and set in the ice bath.
- Chill for at least 1 hour or until pudding cools completely.
- To prepare the parfaits: place 3 tablespoons tapioca in a small parfait glass.
- Spread one tablespoon of sauce or preserves over the tapioca.
- Top with 3 more tablespoons tapioca and 1 more tablespoon sauce or preserves.
- Finish with a final layer of 2 tablespoons tapioca.
- Repeat with 5 more parfait dishes and garnish with nuts, candies, chocolate pieces, or a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.