I haven't purchased tartar sauce in many years. We do not like any hint of sweetness, preferring the combination of dill pickle, lemon, onion and Worcestershire to flavor the sauce. This will keep a long time in the refrigerator. Note to World Tour participants - this recipe is included in the British category. Similar sauce recipes (making the mayonnaise from scratch, of course) go back to Medieval times, and have been found in British books as early as 1685. It's also wonderful served with fish and chips, if you aren't very fond of malt vinegar.
- add 2 sprigs parsley
- add 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- add 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes (or fresh)
- add 1 medium dill pickles (or 1/4 cup dill relish)
- add 1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Mix all together in the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds until finely chopped, but not smooth.
- Best if refrigerated for an hour before use.
- Note: Can be made without the food processor, using dill relish or finely minced pickle.
- Lasts quite a while in the refrigerator.