Brining the turkey with this recipe makes a very moist turkey! Delicious!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3 teaspoons dried basil
- add 2 oranges
- add 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- add 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- add 1 1/2 cups kosher salt (do not use ord. salt)
- add 1 1/2 gallons water
- add 3 teaspoons peppercorns
- Combine all ingredients in a stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minuteAllow brine to cool completely.
- Rinse turkey under cook running water, inside and out (remove giblets from cavity).pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid.My pot wasn't big enough, so the tips of the legs were sticking out a bit, but it still turned out ok.
- Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours.Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry and roast as usual.