I prepare and serve this popcorn chicken at a small cafe in Seattle. *** For this recipe, you may use boneless pork loin chop (pounded down 1/4 inch thick), chicken wings, drumsticks, or chicken breast. You must try the Potato Starch! It gives the chicken a light and pleasant crisp! The basil can be eaten together with the chicken. It's a delicious combo.
- add 1 cup thick soy sauce (use Kimlan brand 'Soy Paste', or a thick Terriyaki paste, but try the Soy paste. It has a better fla)
- add 10 ounces sweet potato flour (aka SWEET POTATO starch, used for the coating of chicken)
- add 1/4 cup sweet cooking rice wine (Try Kikkoman brand Aji-Mirin or any other brand)
- add sweet fresh Thai basil (not the Italian Basil)
- add 2 whole garlic cloves, minced. (cut a few into chips so that you can eat those deep fried too. it's really tasty!)
- add 3 tablespoons white pepper
- add 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- add 3 tablespoons honey or sugar or brown sugar (sugar or brown sugar = 2 tablsp)
- add 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (you can choose to omit this ingredient if you absolutely cannot find it , but it adds such a wonderf)
- add 1 (3 lb) package boneless skinless chicken thighs (Cut into bite size pieces)
- Combine all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a dish or bowl. Mix wel.
- Cut Chicken into bite size pieces.
- Combine the mixture and the chicken together.
- Marinade overnight. (this can keep in the fridge for a few days).
- TO Fry: Heat oil to 390 degrees (anywhere from 375-390 should be fine).
- Thoroughly, coat the chicken with Potato Starch.
- Deep fry in small batches until medium golden brown. (about 1.5 mins ).
- Toss with Fresh Basil. You could also add the fresh basil into the oil, with the chicken, for the last 3 secs of frying, but the basil will lose some of its flavor. Be careful of the hot oil splattering when you add in basil.
- Finally, you can sprinkle some extra pepper, salt, and 5 spice onto the chicken if you'd like.