Tangy and sweet, this has a little less sugar than other recipes. I plan to try this with splenda. Adapted from my More With Less Mennonite cookbook. Either canned or dried, cooked beans may be used. I chose my favorite beans, but many other kinds can be substituted.
- add 2 cups dark red kidney beans (or 15 oz. can)
- add 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- add 1/2 cup sugar
- add 1/2 cup white vinegar
- add 2 cups cut green beans
- add 1 medium green pepper
- add 2 cups garbanzo beans (or 15 oz. can)
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup canola oil
- add 1 medium red onion
- Cook green beans till tender.
- Drain canned beans and rinse.
- Toss beans with onion and pepper.
- Combine the oil with remaining ingedients and pour over the beans.
- Chill at least 4 hours before serving.
- Flavor improves with marinating overnight or longer.