Small cheese pies to be served as a snack or hors d'ouevre.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 tablespoons parsley
- add 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- add 1 cup emmenthaler cheese (Swiss) or similar cheese
- add 1 egg yolk
- add 3/4 cup butter
- add 4 ounces ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- add 2 eggs
- add 1/2 cup feta
- add 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- add 1/2 lb phyllo pastry
- add 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- Remove the filo pastry from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature about 1 hour.
- Make the filling by mashing the feta until it crumbles.
- Add to this the eggs, Emmenthal cheese, ricotta, parsley, mint and pepper and blend well.
- Cut each filo leaf into a strip 6 x 12" (15 x 30 cm).
- Brush each leaf with the melted butter.
- Fold the leaves in half lengthwise making strips 3 x l1" (6 x 30 cm).
- Again brush with butter and place 1 Tbsp.
- of the filling at the bottom of each leaf.
- Fold over to form a triangle (like you were folding a flag) and continue folding until the strip is completed.
- Repeat with each of the strips and place the completed triangles on a well greased cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the tops of each triangle with butter and then with a mixture of the egg yolk and 2 Tbsp of water.
- Sprinkle over with the sesame seeds and bake in a medium oven until the pastries are golden brown and flaky (about 20- 30 minutes).
- Serve hot or cool.
- Yields 16- 24 pastries.