If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 18 (7- by 3 1/2-inch sheets) dry no-boil lasagne (1 lb)
- add 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- add 6 garlic cloves, minced
- add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- add <B>For sauce</B>
- add 1/4 cup fresh orange juice<B>For lasagne</B>
- add 3 (28- to 32-oz) cans crushed tomatoesin thick purée
- add 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- add 2 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella (smoked or plain), chilled and coarsely grated (6 cups)
- add 3 onions, chopped
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Make sauce:
- Cook onions in butter and oil with oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste in a 4-quart saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until onions are softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, orange juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. and butter 2 (13- by 9-inch) baking dishes.
- Assemble lasagne:
- Soak lasagne sheets in hot water to cover by 1 inch until softened and flexible, about 20 minutes.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups sauce in each baking dish and top sauce in each dish with 3 drained pasta sheets, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan evenly in each dish. Top with 3 drained pasta sheets per dish, overlapping if necessary. Repeat layering with 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan, 1‚ cups sauce, and 3 drained pasta sheets in each dish. Finish assembling lasagne by topping each with 1‚ cups sauce. (You will have leftover sauce and mozzarella.)
- Bake lasagne, covered with foil, in middle of oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 cups mozzarella. Bake until bubbling and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more.
- Serve lasagne with some of remaining sauce, reheated.
- Cooks' notes:
- • Sauce may be made 3 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- • You can make and bake lasagne 1 day ahead up to point of adding last layer of mozzarella. Cool completely, then chill, covered. Bring to room temperature before reheating with final layer of mozzarella, covered, in a 375°F oven until hot, 20 to 30 minutes.