This recipe may seem a bit time consuming for what seems to be a fairly basic sauce. But the reductions really concentrate the flavours and are well worth the effort. I've also used some white wine on occasion and it added another dimension to the dish. I like this dish served over a long pasta and served with garlic bread.
- add 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- add 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- add 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (drain & reserve liquid)
- add 1 large onion (chopped)
- add 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams (drain & reserve liquid)
- add 24 shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined)
- add 1/2 teaspoon basil
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 2 bay leaves
- add 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- Saute Onions for a few minutes, then add minced garlic.
- Add Whole Tomatoes (crush by hand first if you like), all of the seasonings, except the Bay Leaves.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add a tiny bit of the reserved Tomato liquid& Clam liquid and let it reduce.
- Do this a few times to let the flavours concentrate.
- I do it 3 or 4 times.
- Add the Clams and Bay leaves and bring to boil, then reducing heat again to medium-low.
- Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add Shrimp and cook for 10 minutes more.