This is obviously a 'roll-your-own' recipe. Salsa is a very personal thing! I like mine fairly mild so that I can put a lot of it on every chip I eat.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- add 3-4 jalapeno peppers
- add 1-2 tomatillo, peeled,washed,and chopped (optional)
- add 1-2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- add salt & freshly ground black pepper
- add 1-2 clove garlic
- add 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped,according to your preference (I like lots!)
- add 1 medium onion
- add 1 (4-8 ounce) can chopped mild green chili peppers
- Combine all ingredients in a large plastic bowl.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Let sit for about one hour at room temperature.
- Taste, and adjust any or all ingredients as desired; make it hotter or cooler, more cilantro, more garlicky, whatever!
- Let sit for another hour, and adjust the ingredients again.
- When you think it's just about the way that YOU like it, rewrite the recipe, and throw this one away!
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours so that flavors can blend.
- Taste, and adjust ingredients again if you want to.
- You shouldn't have to, but your tongue may have been pretty numb by the time you finished doing everything in the previous step.
- This is a chunky salsa.
- If your like yours smooth, throw in a blender or food processor, and mush it up as much as you want.
- Serve with tortilla chips or on top of anything else that you want, tacos, enchiladas, rice, salad, cream cheese (with crackers), whatever!