These candies are made by all different nationalities, each claiming their "own" special touches, all over the world. I found these on Easy Entertaining by Michael Chiarello on the foodnetwork.com.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add candied fruit, garnish (optional)
- add 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- add 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- add 1 cup sliced almonds
- add 2 2/3 cups superfine sugar
- add 1/2 cup candied fruit (optional)
- add 1 teaspoon almond extract
- add 1/2 cup water
- add 2 egg whites
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until candy thermometer registers at 260°F.
- In an electric mixer, beat egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- When sugar reaches 260F pour slowly in a thin stream into egg whites, while mixer is running.
- Add extracts and beat on medium speed for 13 minutes; then fold in candied fruit, if using, and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Now fold in 1/2 cup sliced almonds.
- Pour mixture in butered and lighly dusted floured 9" pan.
- Top with remaining almonds.
- Let sit overnight and then cut into pieces.
- Serve on a "festive" decorated plate.