light chicken free version using dried chiles and epizote from cooking light-
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- add 3/4 cup queso fresco
- add 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- add 1 3/4 cups vertically sliced onions
- add 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- add 1/3 cup cubed peeled avocados
- add 4 garlic cloves
- add 2 stemmed dried seeded pasilla chiles (or 1 dried ancho)
- add 1 teaspoon dried crumbled epazote leaves
- add 1 large lime
- add cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until golden. Set strips aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Place onion mixture and tomato in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add chiles, and sauté 60 seconds or until fragrant. Remove chiles; cool completely. Remove and discard stems; chop chiles.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. Add tomato mixture, and cook 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick (consistency will resemble tomato paste), stirring frequently. Add broth and epazote; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Discard solids.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Divide the cheese, tortilla strips, and avocado evenly among bowls. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled toasted chile. Serve with lime wedges.