Although Tostados do not typically have meat in them, this recipe does. Ground beef is usually used for tacos, refried beans in tostados and a mixture of the two for burritos. I leave it up to you how you wish to enjoy your Mexican. Please feel free to take liberties with this recipe in regards to your own tastes.
- add 1 lb lean ground beef
- add 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- add 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- add 4 tostado shells
- add 1/2 cup chopped onions
- add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- add 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- add 1 tablespoon chili powder
- add 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- add 2-20 cups shredded lettuce
- add 2 medium tomatoes
- Cook ground beef, onions, crushed red pepper, cumin and chili powder in a skillet until no longer pink, stirring to break into crumbles.
- Stir in refried beans.
- Place equal amounts of the beef and bean mixture on each tostado shell.
- Top with cheese, lettuce and tomato.
- Try 1 or 2 of these other toppings: Salsa, chopped jalapeno peppers, chopped onions, chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, and/or sour cream.