i got this recipe from an italian friend on a trip to the spanish isle of mallorca quite a few years ago and cannot find another to touch it.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 pint beef stock
- add 4 ounces streaky bacon
- add 2 bay leaves
- add 1 carrot
- add salt
- add 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- add 1 glass red wine
- add 2 tablespoons double cream
- add 1 lb hamburger or ground beef
- add 3/4 tablespoon tomato puree
- add 2 stalks celery
- add 2 cloves chopped garlic
- add fresh ground black pepper
- add 4 ounces mushrooms
- add 1 ounce butter
- add oregano
- add thyme
- add 1 onion
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Gently melt the butter & oil in a large pan which can be covered.
- Add chopped carrot, onion, celery, bacon & bay leaves, gently cook until golden.
- Add minced steak & garlic, season well with salt & pepper, cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add wine,cook until liquid reduces a little, add mushrooms thyme& oregano.
- Blend the tomato puree with the beef stock,then add to pan along with the tinned tomatoes, stir well then cover and cook on lowest possible heat for a couple of hours. The secret to this dish is long, slow cooking as to allow the flavors to meld.
- As this dish slowly simmers you will need to add more liquid; use either wine or a little water.I find a little wine does best.
- After two hours or so remove from heat, remove bay leaves, add 2 tbsp of cream, stir well, serve with hot pasta or spaghetti with fresh baked garlic bread and grated cheese.