Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
A family friend introduced me to this recipe and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. This is another one of those top-notch recipes that I haven't found a single person to not like yet. It is time consuming to make (because of all the chopping) but the end result is delicious. And they make great leftovers!
- add 1/3 cup prepared balsamic vinegar & oil dressing
- add 1 package (5 oz.) mixed salad greens
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- add 1/3 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers, drained
- add 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- add 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- add 1 egg, lightly beaten
- add 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- add 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- add 4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- add Tomato Basil Relish: recipe follows
- In large bowl, mix together chicken, 1/2 cup of the bread
- crumbs, mayonnaise, egg, pesto, honey mustard, roasted
- peppers and red onion.
- Shape chicken mixture into cakes, I can usually make 12 cakes. Lightly coat each with remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs. In large nonstick frying pan, place oil over medium high heat. Add chicken cakes and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; drain on paper towels.
- Toss salad greens with dressing and divide among serving plates. Top each with 2 chicken cakes; Top each cake with dollop of Tomato-Basil Relish. Makes 6 servings.
- Tomato-Basil Relish*:
- In small bowl, mix together 1 cup seeded and chopped plum tomatoes, 1/3 cup chopped red onion, 3 tablespoons (drained) chopped sun dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons slivered basil leaves, 2 tablespoons prepared balsamic & oil dressing and 1 teaspoon prepared basil pesto.
- *NOTE: I always make extra relish because it goes so quickly.