This was a graduate school favorite that I recently dug out of a very old box of recipe clips. I have no idea where the recipe originated but have fond memories of sitting with my housemates in the kitchen eating hot slabs of this cake right out of the oven.
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1/2 lb butter
- add 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- add 1 tablespoon baking powder
- add 3/4 cup poppy seeds
- add 3 eggs
- add 1 1/3 cups sugar
- add 1 cup milk
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 cups unbleached flour
- Heat poppyseeds and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.Remove from heat just before milk begins to boil.Let stand until milk reaches room temperature.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt).
- AIn thirds, alternately beat into the butter and sugar the dry ingredients and milk. Add the vanilla and lemon zest at the end.
- Lightly butter 2 loaf pans and split batter between pans. Bake 40-50 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean.