I came across this in a Homemakers magazine and it was an instant favourite, we have used this recipe ever since(with a little of our own tweaking!)The longer the mixture sits the better!( for prep time i just put the 1 hour standing time, add how ever long it will take you to chop your other ingredients)Cook time is just how long it takes you to toast your bread. Everyone we serve this to really likes it.
- add 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- add 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- add 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- add 4 slices thick crusty Italian bread (we usually just use a baguette)
- add 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- add 1 1/2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes (about 8-10)
- add salt & pepper
- add 2 cloves garlic
- Cut tomatoes in half,squeeze out seeds& juice.
- Chop into small dice and place in bowl.
- Add onion,garlic,basil,vinegar, half the olive oil, salt& pepper to your taste.
- Let stand at room temp.
- for about 1 hour,drain liquid.
- On broil,toast bread on both sides until golden.
- Quickly brush one side of each slice with remaining olive oil.
- Spoon tomato mixture on top& serve.
- Note:My husband usually makes this and i believe he uses the drained liquid to brush the bread rather than the olive oil.
- Also we have made this using dried basil instead of fresh (1 tbsp. fresh= 1 tsp. dried) and although it does not call for it in the recipe we also use some fresh parsley.