This is a heathlier version of a chile relleno. This is not a traditional relleno, but it is fast and easy to make in the microwave. Yes, microwave! I got this recipe from a lady that sells chile at the farmers market and I tried and really liked it for a quick chile relleno fix! Hope you like it too. You can use whatever cheese you want and use prepared bread crumbs if you want. I included step by step photos to help make these.
- add 1 tomato, cut in strips (I used roma)
- add 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- add 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- add 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- add 4 green chilies (roasted and peeled)
- Mix bread crumbs with salt and garlic powder.
- Remove stems from chile and seed if you want.Cut open and lay chile flat.
- Divide the 1/2 cup cheese between the 4 chiles and place 2 strips of tomatoe in each.
- Close up chile and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on them.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on chiles.May not need the whole cup, maybe 3/4 cup.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of bread crumbs.
- Microwave for 3 minutes or until cheese melts.