I am trying out several of the ready made vegetarian meat substitutes and this casserole is a result of my trial by fire! Play with the ingredients add more heat, garlic or whatever your favorite herbs and spices are. I look at this recipe as a stepping stone to other recipes.The fried onions that I use in the recipe for the topping are the prepared ones - One brand is French's but you may also buy them in Oriental markets as fried red onions
- add 1 onion
- add season with salt & pepper
- add 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- add 1/2 (340 g) package vegetarian ground beef
- add 1 cup carrots
- add 1 1/2 cups green cabbage
- add 1/4 cup salsa
- add 3/4 cup mushrooms
- add 1/2 cup dry fried onions
- add 3/4 cup tomatoes
- add 2 garlic cloves
- Place half the cabbage on the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Mix the garlic with the ground round.
- Then layer the veggie ground round, rice,carrot,onion, mushroom, remaining half of the cabbage.
- Top with the tomato/salsa.
- Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour.
- Top with the fried onions and serve.