I grew up loving Swedish Meatballs and wanted a vegetarian substitute. I even suprised myself with its wonderful taste and texture. I served it with mashed potatoes (the extra sauce around the meatballs makes great gravy) and brussel sprouts.
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 1 lb vegetarian ground beef (I recommend Lightlife Gimme Lean Ground Beef Style, Don't use crumbles)
- add 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- add 2 slices crumbled bread
- add 1 egg or egg substitute
- add salt and pepper
- add 4 tablespoons olive oil
- add 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- add 1 medium onion
- add 2-4 tablespoons milk
- add oil (for cooking)
- add 10 1/2 ounces milk
- In a large bowl combine (I use my hands) the Vegetarian Beef Substitue, the soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, egg, crumbled bread, onion and 2-4 tbsp milk.
- When mixed it should be sticky but stay together when rolled into a ball.
- Roll into balls (1.5-2 inches in diameter).
- Heat oil for cooking in a pan, it should coat all surfaces.
- Over medium cook the meatballs until each side is browned.
- Then in a casserole dish mix 1 can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can milk.
- Place meatballs on top of this mixture.
- Combine the other can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can of milk and pour on top of meatballs.
- Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for 1-1.5 hours.