MASTER CHEF MONTASER M MASOUD Chef world A SSOCOIATION OF CHEF SOCIETIE ? MASTER CHEF GCC SENIOR MEMBER .JUDGE THE EMIRATES SALON CULINAIRE .EXECUTIVE CHEF-IHG F & B Consultant KING ABDULAZIZ UNIVERSITY Tourism Institute . Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- add Veggie Sushi Rolls
- add cooked sushi rice 1 1/4 cups (6 oz/185 g)
- add unseasoned rice vinegar 1 teaspoon
- add toasted nori seaweed 1 sheet, about 7 by 8 inches (18 by 20 cm)
- add toasted sesame seeds 1 tablespoon, plus more for sprinkling
- add English cucumber 1/4, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- add carrot 1/2, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- add ripe avocado 1/4, thinly sliced
- add soy sauce and pickled ginger slices for serving (optional)
- Place the rice in a microwave-safe bowl. Add a few drops of water and microwave on high until the rice is warm and softened, about 30 seconds. Set the rice aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar with 2 tablespoons water. Place a bamboo sushi mat on a work surface with the bamboo strips facing you horizontally. Place the nori sheet horizontally, shiny side down, on the mat, aligned with the edge nearest you. Dip your hands into the vinegar-water mixture and spread the cooled rice in an even layer over the nori sheet, leaving the top one-fourth of the nori uncovered. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the rice, then arrange the cucumber and carrot sticks and the avocado slices in a horizontal strip across the bottom portion of the rice.
- Starting at the edge closest to you, lift the mat, nori, and rice over the filling to seal it inside, then roll up the sushi into a tight cylinder. Use your finger to lightly moisten the outer edge of the nori with the vinegar-water mixture to seal the roll. Dipping a sharp knife in water before each cut, cut the roll in half crosswise, and then cut each half crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
- Pack the sushi snugly into an airtight container and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Refrigerate until ready to go. Include little containers of soy sauce and/or pickled ginger, if you like. And don't forget the chopsticks!