If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 large egg
- add 3 medium navel oranges
- add 3 tablespoons vin santo or other sweet dessert wine
- add 3 tablespoons sugar
- add 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartarGarnish: freshly ground nutmeg
- add 1 large pink or red grapefruit
- Cut peel and white pith from oranges and grapefruit with a sharp knife, then cut sections free from membranes. Drain fruit in a large sieve set over a bowl 5 minutes, reserving juice for another use. Toss fruit with
- 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Beat egg, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, vin santo, cream of tartar,
- and a pinch of salt in a double boiler
- or a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water with a hand-held electric mixer at medium speed until slightly thickened and frothy, about
- 5 minutes (mixture will froth up and then subside a bit before thickening). Remove from heat.
- Divide fruit among 4 stemmed glasses and top with zabaglione.
- Serve immediately.
- Cooks' note:
- The eggs will not be fully cooked in this dessert, which may be of concern if there is a problem with salmonella in your area.