"These cookies have been baked by my mother, by me, and now by my daughters at Christmastime," writes Suzanne Perry of Columbus, Ohio. "The recipe was given to my mother by a Swedish friend."<P> Active time: 1 1/2 hr Start to finish: 2 1/2 hr
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 8 oz semisweet chocolate, melted
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- add 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (4 oz)<B>For decoration</b>
- add 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- add <B>For cookies </b>
- add 2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (2 oz)
- Make cookies:
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat together butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture at low speed, then stir in walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Form 2 teaspoons dough into an egglike shape resembling an acorn. Make more "acorns," arranging them 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in batches in middle of oven until undersides are light brown, about
- 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.
- Decorate cookies:
- Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate and then in chopped nuts. Place as coated on a baking sheet lined with wax paper to set, about 15 minutes.