This is a traditional black cake or fruit cake made in the Caribbean at Christmastime. You will love it.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/2 lbs brown sugar
- add 1 cup rum
- add 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- add 1/4 lb orange rind or lemons, rind of
- add 1/2 lb flour
- add 12 eggs
- add 1 lb dried fruits (1/2 lb prunes and 1/2 raisins are perfect for this recipe)
- add 1/4 lb chopped cherries
- add 1/2 lb butter
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Grind dried fruits and soak it in 3 cups of rum.
- Store in an air tight container for three weeks.
- Prepare the caramel by heating the sugar until it turns dark brown.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, soaked fruits, and rum.
- When it is well blended, pour the caramel.
- Add the flour with the baking powder and mixed spice.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Pour mixture in a greased baking pan and bake in a slow oven (about 300 degrees F.) for two hours or until a knife comes out clean at the centre.
- Remove cake from pan after two days.